OFF~CAMBER 4X4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» birth of "The Beast"
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime6/23/2015, 10:58 pm by OffRoadney

» 1989 Cherokee
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime6/23/2015, 10:47 pm by OffRoadney

» Submarine Cherokee
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime6/23/2015, 10:46 pm by OffRoadney

» Evening fun in the mud
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime6/23/2015, 10:40 pm by OffRoadney

» finally jumped my bronco
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime6/23/2015, 10:37 pm by OffRoadney

» kia vs b2
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime6/23/2015, 10:31 pm by OffRoadney

» shop truck
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime6/13/2014, 2:34 am by 4x4troy

» pickettville
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime4/27/2014, 3:06 pm by 4x4troy

» our rigs
Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? I_icon_minitime4/27/2014, 1:17 pm by 4x4troy

Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down?

+3
JaxWranglerUnlimtd
Lock~N~Low
MudRaider
7 posters

Go down

Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? Empty Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down?

Post by MudRaider 10/5/2011, 4:32 pm

After playing in the local spot the other day, I noticed a weird growling, vibration thing going on in the MudRaider. I put it up on stands today, haven't found anything wrong except front tires were down around 10 lbs. I ran them at 16 in the mud. After talking with Jeff (Dirty) I don't know if airing down is all that great of an idea when playing in the mud, worrying that the bead will break loose. Or is there some happy medium?
MudRaider
MudRaider

http://photobucket.com/fastfoodvwRaidersnorkel

Back to top Go down

Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? Empty Re: Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down?

Post by Lock~N~Low 10/5/2011, 6:42 pm

I like to air down a lil bit for mud and sand. It give a bigger "footprint"for traction....... I like to air down more, for climbing hills and rocks. it gives you a better grip around rocks and logs.
Lock~N~Low
Lock~N~Low

https://www.youtube.com/user/LockNLow?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? Empty Re: Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down?

Post by JaxWranglerUnlimtd 10/5/2011, 7:20 pm

10psi is pushing the limit on poping a bead or spinning the tire on non-beadlock rims. A safe bet is to stay above 12psi. I have mine at 30-35psi on the street then I air down to 15-20psi when wheeling and have had great results thus far. Hope that helps.
JaxWranglerUnlimtd
JaxWranglerUnlimtd
Hardcore member
Hardcore member

Back to top Go down

Post by 89WhiteXJ 10/5/2011, 7:38 pm

I think mine are at like 15 or so off road
89WhiteXJ
89WhiteXJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MudRaider 10/5/2011, 11:19 pm

Lock~N~Low wrote:I like to air down a lil bit for mud and sand. It give a bigger "footprint"for traction....... I like to air down more, for climbing hills and rocks. it gives you a better grip around rocks and logs.
That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks Oh yeah. The noise: wheel bearings from a hub housing being broken. Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? 2011-10-05_19-15-42_804 By the looks of it the cast housing broke soon after original install. Then water and mud has been seeping in there ever since. Do these big off-road tires make a lot of noise on road when aired down? 2011-10-05_19-15-17_319 Very annoying.
MudRaider
MudRaider

Back to top Go down

Post by DIRTY 10/5/2011, 11:41 pm

35S WILL DO THAT ,I AGREE NO LESS THAN 15LBS OFFROAD I RUN 20 ONROAD ON MY 37S ,BUT I ALREADY HAVE A WIDE FOOTPRINT @ 14 WIDE Cool
DIRTY
DIRTY
Vendor
Vendor

Back to top Go down

Post by MudRaider 10/6/2011, 12:40 am

Do you do that both mud and soft trails and then playing on the rocks, or do you run different pressures depending on what you're doing?
MudRaider
MudRaider

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick@HappyTrails4x4 10/6/2011, 12:44 am

i run 25 on the street, and 8-10 offroad... works well for me
Nick@HappyTrails4x4
Nick@HappyTrails4x4
Hardcore member
Hardcore member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitbullguiller 10/30/2011, 8:37 pm

15 is safe offroad. But alot also depends on how wide your rim is compare to your tire.
Pitbullguiller
Pitbullguiller
Hardcore member
Hardcore member

Back to top Go down

Post by MudRaider 10/30/2011, 8:57 pm

What helps, wider rims or narrow rims?
MudRaider
MudRaider

Back to top Go down

Post by DIRTY 10/30/2011, 10:29 pm

10S ARE PERFECT FOR 12.5 AND WIDER TIRES GO ANY WIDER WHEEL WITH SKINNY TIRES AND AIR DOWN THEY CAN LOSE BEAD EASIER....GET BEADLOCKS THEN IT DOESN'T MATTER cheers
DIRTY
DIRTY
Vendor
Vendor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pitbullguiller 10/30/2011, 10:58 pm

On 12.5 wide its recommended 8 wide rims for max bagging. So the narrower the rim it holds bead better.
Pitbullguiller
Pitbullguiller
Hardcore member
Hardcore member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick@HappyTrails4x4 10/31/2011, 12:05 am

on the rock i run 10.

mud 20

street 30
Nick@HappyTrails4x4
Nick@HappyTrails4x4
Hardcore member
Hardcore member

Back to top Go down

Post by MudRaider 10/31/2011, 12:06 am

DIRTY wrote:10S ARE PERFECT FOR 12.5 AND WIDER TIRES GO ANY WIDER WHEEL WITH SKINNY TIRES AND AIR DOWN THEY CAN LOSE BEAD EASIER....GET BEADLOCKS THEN IT DOESN'T MATTER cheers

Got alauminum rims. Guess that won't happen,
MudRaider
MudRaider

Back to top Go down

Post by DIRTY 11/1/2011, 12:07 am

MudRaider wrote:
DIRTY wrote:10S ARE PERFECT FOR 12.5 AND WIDER TIRES GO ANY WIDER WHEEL WITH SKINNY TIRES AND AIR DOWN THEY CAN LOSE BEAD EASIER....GET BEADLOCKS THEN IT DOESN'T MATTER cheers

Got alauminum rims. Guess that won't happen,
THAT WON'T MATTER STEEL OR ALUMINUM THEY BOTH CAN LOOSE BEAD . ALUMINUM CAN GET MOISTURE INSIDE AND START TO CORRODE ONCE THAT HAPPENS YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE A SLOW LEAK . YOU HAVE TO PULL THE TIRES OFF THE RIMS AND USE A WIRE WHEEL TO GET THEM CLEAN AND FLUSH TO SEAL ( AIRIN DOWN GIVES MORE CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENIN ) 2 SETS HAVE DONE IT TO ME Evil or Very Mad IT TAKES AWHILE Cool
DIRTY
DIRTY
Vendor
Vendor

Back to top Go down

Post by MudRaider 11/1/2011, 5:46 am

DIRTY wrote:
MudRaider wrote:
DIRTY wrote:10S ARE PERFECT FOR 12.5 AND WIDER TIRES GO ANY WIDER WHEEL WITH SKINNY TIRES AND AIR DOWN THEY CAN LOSE BEAD EASIER....GET BEAD LOCKS THEN IT DOESN'T MATTER cheers

Got aluminum rims. Guess that won't happen,
THAT WON'T MATTER STEEL OR ALUMINUM THEY BOTH CAN LOOSE BEAD .

Are you saying they have bead-locks for aluminum wheels? Are the specific with certain wheels or are there just the plates available that you can you with any?
MudRaider
MudRaider

Back to top Go down

Post by DIRTY 11/1/2011, 9:12 am

WELL THEY MAKE SPECIFIC RIMS THAT ARE TRUE BEADLOCKS , SOME ARE JUST FOR LOOKS AND ARE NOT FUNCTIONAL . I HAVE BOUBLE BEADLOCKS CUSTOM MADE SO I CAN RUN AT 0 PSI IF I WANT Twisted Evil JUST HAVEN'T MOUNTED THEM ON RUBBER YET . BUT YES THEY MAKE ALUMINUM BEADLOCKS
DIRTY
DIRTY
Vendor
Vendor

Back to top Go down

Post by JaxWranglerUnlimtd 11/1/2011, 10:36 am

They do sell weld on functional aluminum beadlocks. I forget the site but u can google em. I believe there's a few companies.
JaxWranglerUnlimtd
JaxWranglerUnlimtd
Hardcore member
Hardcore member

Back to top Go down

Post by MudRaider 11/1/2011, 10:04 pm

Interesting. Something to check into.
MudRaider
MudRaider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down